2021 Delaware River Watershed Fellowship At Schuylkill River Greenways National Heritage Area
Schuylkill River Greenways National Heritage Area
Schuylkill River Greenways (SRG), a member of the Alliance for Watershed Education (AWE), is seeking to hire a Fellow from Pottstown, PA to help connect with local community members around protecting the Delaware River and its waterways. SRG is dedicated to celebrating and preserving a watershed that is diverse, equitable and inclusive. We value the different experiences, knowledge and unique capabilities applicants will be able to share because of varying social, cultural and racial backgrounds.
The Delaware River Watershed Fellowship is a 12-week, paid summer job opportunity designed to introduce young people from local communities to careers in environmental education. Fellows are hired at one of 23 environmental education centers across the Delaware River Watershed. Fellows participate in training sessions to help prepare them for a summer of helping people connect with nature and informing their local communities about issues affecting the Delaware River, the source of drinking water for 13 million people living in the region. Position Location: Schuylkill River Greenways is located at 140 College Drive Pottstown, PA 19464. The Fellow will spend much of their time in and around Pottstown, but some events will take place in other areas of the watershed in Philadelphia, Chester, Montgomery, Berks, and Schuylkill Counties.
Schuylkill River Greenways is located at 140 College Drive Pottstown, PA 19464. The Fellow will spend much of their time in and around Pottstown, but some events will take place in other areas of the watershed in Philadelphia, Chester, Montgomery, Berks, and Schuylkill Counties.
This position pays $15/hr. Fellows will serve 35 hrs/week for 12 weeks June to August.
- Fellows will participate in a 3-day watershed education training, at the Pocono Environmental Education Center (overnight, June 16-18 Depending on Covid limitations some or all of this training may take place virtually.)
- Fellows will help their host Center lead programs and activities, whether in-person or virtually, for community members and visitors to their site.
- Fellows will attend virtual webinars as well as in-person meetings with Fellows from other AWE Centers.
- Fellows will be paired with mentors from AWE Centers as well as past Fellowship alumni. Fellows will check in with their mentors twice a month.
- With guidance from their supervisor and mentors, Fellows will focus their efforts on a community engagement summer project and present their work at the end-of-program Summit event (August 20).
- Fellows will document their progress by completing a short log report every week.
The Fellow at Schuylkill River Greenways (SRG) will:
- Create a webpage with information about the harm of single-use plastics and microplastics in our watershed. Social media followers and event attendees will be able to visit the webpage to learn more about this subject and complete a pledge to reduce single-use plastic consumption.
- Create eye-catching graphics using Canva or other design programs for social media posts.
- Design social media posts educating SRG followers about the harm of single-use plastics and microplastics in our watershed (no prior watershed knowledge needed)
- Talk with SRG event participants and center visitors about watershed health and environmentally-beneficial habits (no prior watershed knowledge needed)
- Attend 2 to 3 Pedal and Paddle events and host an education table helping people identify behavioral changes that can be made around single-use plastics
- Organize two outdoor movie nights along the Schuylkill River. One at Lock 60 Recreation Area in Mont Clare, PA and one in Schuylkill Haven, PA
- Help organize and advertise a beginner-friendly biking and kayaking day in Pottstown Riverfront Park (Saturday, August 7th 11am-4pm)
- Engage Pottstown community and communicate with SRG partners to raise awareness about the free beginner-friendly event
- Assist with environmental education and programming along the Schuylkill River Trail
Qualifications and Experience
- Age 18+ by June 7, 2021 start date.
- Background in environmental education not required
- Pottstown resident preferred
- Comfortable welcoming and talking with visitors to the center and park, excited to help run environmental education programs outdoors with children and adults
- Comfortable working outdoors
- Enjoy working with a team and independently, teamwork will be needed for events and SRG projects, working independently as a leader will be helpful when working on the summer capstone project
- Interest or experience in social media marketing, webpage design, graphic design, communications & marketing
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required for Pedal and Paddle events, movie nights, and summer capstone project
- Able to lead walks/hikes through varied terrain, open to trying kayaking in the Schuylkill River (no prior kayaking experience necessary)
- June 7-16, 2021: Fellow start date at Schuylkill River Greenways (Fellows may arrange with their Supervisor to begin any time within the first week of the program.)
- June 16-18: Required Watershed Stewardship Training (overnight) at Pocono Environmental Education
Center. (Meals, transportation and accommodations provided.)
- August 20: Watershed Fellowship Summit (location to be announced).
- August 27: Last day of Fellowship (Fellows may finish their term of service any time after the August 20 Summit as needed.)
How to Apply
Email a resume and letter describing your interest to: Sarah Crothers, Education Director, [email protected]