Communications and Outreach Coordinator
PENDLE HILL is a Quaker study, retreat, and conference center that seeks to create peace with justice in the world by transforming lives through learning opportunities, retreat, and community created on our beautiful 24-acre campus in unceded Lenni-Lenape territory and in virtual settings. At Pendle Hill we work to be inclusive, respectful, and supportive of all people and strive for peace and justice.
This is a highly collaborative staff community featuring responsive leadership and partial work-from-home arrangements for office-based employees. Community-building among staff is highly prized with monthly fun activities as part of staff meeting and two longer staff retreat days a year for fun, growth, and connection among all staff. The monthly community work morning provides variety with the opportunity to lend a hand on another team’s project or lead one for staff in your own work area. Learn more about Pendle Hill at https://pendlehill.org/.
The Communication and Outreach Coordinator (COC) works consultatively with colleagues across the organization to determine and execute strategic priorities and goals for Pendle Hill’s promotion to program, service, and donor audiences. The COC meets those goals by crafting compelling messages and beautiful marketing and fundraising materials with excellent writing, graphics / design, and sales skills. The COC disseminates these using internal and external resources, like our social media and website, radio advertising, and mail and email campaigns reaching current and new audiences to attract visitors, program participants, conference rental groups, and donors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Communications and Outreach Coordinator creates messaging and communications in addition to attractive flyers, advertisements and fundraising appeals in-house, advancing the promotion of Pendle Hill and its outreach strategy. The primary steward of Pendle Hill’s institutional “voice,” the COC produces and publishes a monthly e-newsletter and manages Pendle Hill’s social media accounts to ensure regular, compelling, and on-mission activity while also assisting the Executive Director in responding to sensitive communications with the public. The COC has both artistic qualities, ensuring that high-quality photos and videos of our visitors and campus are taken frequently, and analytical ones, tracking our marketing tactics’ effectiveness as well as broader industry trends. For more detailed duties and responsibilities, please review the full job description.
1. At least one year of professional experience in the field of communications, outreach, marketing, sales, graphic design, or a related profession.
2. Proficiency in effective communication methods (including traditional and emerging media).
3. Strong design skills with the ability to create quality materials in-house for marketing and fundraising purposes.
4. Experience in generating graphic, audio, video, and written content for communications, marketing or fundraising purposes in both print and on the web.
5. Excellent writing, proofreading and editing skills; keen attention to detail.
6. Demonstrated good judgement and confidence in managing competing priorities.
7. Understanding of and proficiency in effective marketing and communications strategies and tactics, as well as an eagerness to stay current with emerging methods.
8. Understanding of basic design and/or graphic design principles, including composition, color, contrast, and typography (for instance).
1. Bachelor’s degree or higher in communications, marketing, English, graphic design, media relations, or similar field.
2. Familiarity with the Adobe suite of software.
3. Familiarity with WordPress.
4. Familiarity with the Raiser’s Edge CRM platform.
5. Enjoys working in a multifunctional organization.
EXPECTATIONS OF ALL PENDLE HILL EMPLOYEES:
1. A highly welcoming attitude and willingness to provide hospitality for members of, and visitors to, the Pendle Hill community. Openness to a wide range of spiritual beliefs and experiences, cultural backgrounds and practices, and differences of all kinds.
2. Either a familiarity with Quaker faith and practices and a commitment to learning more or a willingness to gain and over time deepen such knowledge.
3. Appreciation for the role of Quakerism in the mission of Pendle Hill. Please see our mission, vision, and value statements as part of familiarizing yourself with Pendle Hill.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Out of respect for work-life balance, “full time” at Pendle Hill is 37.5 hours per week, with 7.5-hour typical workdays. Occasional evening or weekend work may be required. Full-time staff at Pendle Hill spend a few work hours each week contributing to the community through meal time, housekeeping, or maintenance work.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
$40,000 -$44,000 yearly salary plus benefits including: medical, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, generous paid vacation days (20), sick days (15), and holidays (11), and the opportunity to take Pendle Hill courses for free. Additional benefits include one meal a day from the Pendle Hill Kitchen (free to staff except for the tax), a 20% employee discount at the Pendle Hill Bookstore, free copies of all Pendle Hill pamphlets upon publication, a beautiful campus with walking trails and fellowship with people from around the world. Full-time staff are eligible for competitively priced on-campus housing (depending on availability, and at Pendle Hill’s discretion).
How to Apply
Please submit the following items to Hannah Mayer at [email protected] with “Communications and Outreach Coordinator” and your last name in the email subject line:
1. a current resume;
2. a cover letter that includes how you heard about the position, why you want to be considered and your qualifications;
3. a product of your marketing/communications work (flyer, donor appeal, social media campaign, etc.), including a detailed explanation for which parts you can claim responsibility;
4. contact information for three professional references, at least one of whom has supervised your work.
Review of applications will take place on a rolling basis and continue until the position is filled, with priority given to those applications that arrive before November 28, 2022. The anticipated start date is January 3, 2022.