New Jersey Future
Founded in 1987, New Jersey Future (NJF) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that promotes sensible growth, redevelopment, and infrastructure investments to foster vibrant cities and towns; protect natural lands and waterways; enhance transportation choices; provide access to safe, affordable, and aging-friendly neighborhoods; and fuel a strong economy. New Jersey Future does this
through original research, innovative policy development, coalition-building, advocacy, and hands-on strategic assistance. Embracing differences and advancing fairness is central to New Jersey Future’s mission and operations. New Jersey Future is firmly committed to pursuing greater justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion. New Jersey Future is located in downtown Trenton, NJ. For more information,
New Jersey Future seeks an experienced communications director and strategic thinker to guide the organization’s communications strategy and oversee its expanding communications and marketing activities. The communications director will manage a collaborative communications team and work closely with the organization’s other directors and staff to amplify and increase public awareness and
understanding of New Jersey Future’s work. This position reports directly to the executive director.
- Develop and implement strategic communications plans.
- Manage communications staff and all communications work.
- Oversee all external communications deliverables, including newsletters and web content, etc.
- Guide staff in creating communications plans and compelling messaging.
- Seek proactive opportunities to communicate about NJF work, including at the national level.
- Writing and editing of articles, op-eds, newsletter messages, blog posts, direct emails, etc.
- Communications planning and writing assistance for grant proposals.
- Work closely with development and marketing, including communications work related to NJF events and social media.
- Work closely with government affairs, including communications work related to advocacy, media, press strategy, and releases.
- Writing and speaking training for staff as needed.
- Motivated by the organization’s issues and a strong mission-driven work ethic.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated success in directing strategic communications plans.
- Experience managing individuals and teams.
- Media relations experience, including press release and op-ed writing.
- Ability to communicate complex issues in a compelling manner.
- Demonstrated track record of working well in a diverse team environment.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and work well in a fast-paced environment.
- A demonstrated commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
The salary for this position is in the range of 58,000 to 68,000 and depends on the candidate’s experience and skills. Salary is negotiable. This is a full-time position with benefits, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, short and long term disability.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and a resume to [email protected]. If selected to advance, one or more writing samples will be required.
New Jersey Future employees are working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Employees may return to the office in Trenton, NJ when it is determined to be safe. All interviews will be conducted remotely.