Conservation Easement Steward
Natural Lands, a vibrant, regional, nonprofit organization and leader in land conservation, natural resource stewardship, and public engagement, seeks a Conservation Easement Steward to join our team at our headquarters on the Hildacy Preserve in Media, Pennsylvania.
Since the early 1950s, Natural Lands has saved open space, cared for nature, and connected people to the outdoors in eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Today, the organization is one of the nation’s largest regional land conservancies and is widely respected for its record of success, technical expertise, respectful and creative approach to partnerships, fiscal strength, and integrity.
Over the course of its nearly 70-year history, Natural Lands has helped preserve more than 135,000 acres including a network of 42 nature preserves and one public garden across two states and 13 counties. These properties total 23,000 acres and include many of the most spectacular and diverse properties in the region, which are enjoyed by more than 300,000 visitors annually.
Natural Lands seeks to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not only because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our organization stronger. We aim to build a workplace where employees feel empowered to be their full, authentic selves. We welcome you to explore a career at Natural Lands.
The Conservation Easement Steward is a full-time position that will work with Conservation Easement Program staff to assist with the annual easement monitoring program, maintaining relationships with easement landowners, as well as reviewing and tracking changes on easement properties. They will also provide assistance to staff working on amendments and enforcement actions. They will assist with report and letter writing and compilation; easement review, interpretation and reserved rights tracking; GPS data collection; plant identification; and ecological land management planning/assistance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Ecology/Biology, Planning/Landscape Architecture, or a related field, with two years’ work experience related to easements, or a Master’s Degree with one year of experience;
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs;
- Experience using databases;
- Working knowledge of common mid-Atlantic plant assemblages and ecological land planning/stewardship practices;
- Field experience with GPS equipment and functional knowledge of GIS mapping;
- Ability to successfully handle multiple projects simultaneously with good time management;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Willingness and ability to assist and work with a wide variety of people;
- Self-starter capable of working independently with a minimum of supervision;
- A demonstrated enthusiastic and positive attitude; and,
- A passion for land conservation and providing quality service.
Additional skills a plus, but not required:
- Experience using ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, and Google Earth/Maps; and/or,
- Experience with Landscape.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
This position includes a combination of office work, field work, and travel to and from conserved properties. Office work requires frequent sitting for long periods, with occasional periods of walking, standing, bending and reaching. The position requires use of the computer and the telephone and handling large-printed materials. The position requires work at outdoor sites, including driving and walking and standing on uneven terrain. Work is primarily indoors, but candidate must be prepared to work outdoors under all conditions, including heat, cold, and with occasional exposure to poison ivy, biting and stinging insects, etc. A reliable vehicle and valid driver’s license are required for travel to sites throughout eastern Pennsylvania.
Natural Lands is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. We aim to build a workplace where employees feel empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
How to Apply
Visit our website at https://natlands.org/everything-else/careers/job-openings/ and complete the online application process. Please address all applications to Kelsey L. Gvozdich, Esq., Human Resources Generalist.