Director, General Accounting
Western Pennsylvania Conservancy
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy (WPC) has an opening for an experienced accounting professional as the Director of General Accounting to oversee general accounting, internal controls, investment accounting, land and conservation easement accounting, cash management, banking, fixed asset accounting, annual audit, financial statement preparation and tax reporting. This position reports to the vice president of finance and administration/chief financial officer of the Conservancy.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for general accounting, preparation and maintenance of accounting, financial and statistical records, reports, and statements as required by management and regulatory agencies.
- Directs, coordinates, and reviews the calculation, posting, and verification of data to obtain and record financial information.
- Maintains property records, including movable equipment and property control, tagging and physical inventories.
- Directs determination of depreciation rates to apply to capital assets and process calculation/postings.
- Handles the accounting for investments, land and conservation easements, fixed assets and donor restricted net asset accounting.
- Oversees general ledger and performs periodic review of software applications, makes recommendations and implements improvements.
- Performs monthly and quarterly closing of accounting records.
- Ensures that established accounting procedures and departmental operations are in compliance with Conservancy and regulatory requirements.
- Directs, performs, or reviews reconciliations of general ledger accounts and subsidiary ledgers.
- Performs internal reviews/audits as directed by C.F.O
- Assists C.F.O. with Board of Director Committee reports and meetings as required. Participate in Audit and Finance Committee meetings.
- Manages state charitable registration renewals.
- Researches and implements new accounting standards.
- Responsible for balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows on a periodic and annual basis.
- Prepares and/or assists C.F.O. with special reports.
- Performs the preparation, compilation, and distribution of reports from the general ledger accounting system for management and program staff.
Investments /Cash management
- Performs or oversees short-term investments and cash transfers to support daily organization cash management requirements.
- Performs investment transactions as required for alternative investments and cash management. Assists with investment monitoring.
Audit and 990
- Assists independent external auditors with annual audit. This includes planning the annual audit, preparing and reviewing audit worksheets to support account balances, and drafting the financial statements with footnotes in accordance with GAAP.
- Oversees preparation of the annual Form 990 tax return by external auditors and transmits to C.F.O. and senior management for approval. Coordinates submission to the Internal Revenue Service with external auditors.
- Carries out programmatic and supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Conservancy’s policies, programs and procedures. Responsibilities include development and administration of budgetary information; recommending staff changes or actions; conducting performance reviews; ensuring appropriate training; providing advice and guidance on the more complex aspects of the job; and resolving complaints and departmental-related issues.
- Directly supervises general accounting staff accountant.
- Manages staff time appropriately for the implementation and management of all projects.
- Confers with management and other administrative personnel to review achievements and discuss required changes in goals and objectives resulting from current status and conditions.
- Maintains an effective system of communication throughout the department and the organization.
- Supports the Conservancy’s cost containment and fundraising efforts and needs, as applicable.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as required.
- Provides training to Conservancy program staff and periodically travels to Fallingwater and other Conservancy sites as necessary.
- Works closely with grants/contracts office, payroll, and Fallingwater business operations.
- Bachelor’s degree with major in Accounting
- Six to eight years relevant experience in non-profit finance/operations
- Experience with state, federal, and foundation grants/contracts
- CPA or CMA certification
- Thorough understanding of computerized accounting systems and processes
- Experience with Fund/Project Accounting
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge or NXT products
- Advanced experience with Excel, Word and other Microsoft Office products
- Must have ability to work independently and communicate with all levels of management, staff and outside professionals
Location: The position is based in Pittsburgh, Pa.
Position Duration: The is a regular full-time opportunity with full benefits.
Pay: We offer a competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, résumé and salary requirements to [email protected] and list Accounting Director in the subject line.