Natural Lands, a vibrant, regional, nonprofit organization and leader in land conservation, natural resource stewardship, and public engagement, seeks a Horticulturist to join professional public garden staff at Stoneleigh: a natural garden.
Since the early 1950s, Natural Lands has saved open space, cared for nature, and connected people to the outdoors in eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Today, the organization is one of the nation’s largest regional land conservancies and is widely respected for its record of success, technical expertise, respectful and creative approach to partnerships, fiscal strength, and integrity.
Stoneleigh, a 42-acre former private estate located in Villanova, PA, was added to Natural Lands in 2016; and made its debut as a public garden in May 2018. Through innovative displays of native plants and sustainable landscape practices, Stoneleigh strives to increase biodiversity and improve the local ecology, while inspiring others to do the same. Stoneleigh: a natural garden is open Tuesday through Sunday at no charge to guests. The garden also hosts house tours, educational programs, and other events.
The Horticulturist is a key contributor to the work of the public garden. Their primary role will be to assist in the design, installation and maintenance of garden landscapes and natural areas. They will also be required to perform, as needed, any and all additional tasks necessary for the development of Stoneleigh.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- Perform general gardening duties such as pruning, planting, weeding, watering, mulching, mowing, snow and debris removal.
- Operate heavy equipment including farm tractors, mini excavators, backhoes, commercial mowers, as well as power tools such as chainsaws, blowers, string trimmers and other maintenance equipment.
- Monitor and inspect plants for health deficiencies and problems, ascertain proper corrective measures and apply appropriate pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers.
- With managerial approval, select, source, procure and purchase plants, supplies and materials such as trees, shrubs, seeds, mulch, soil and garden tools and equipment.
- Assist with public events, tours, educational programs, and membership activities.
- Work with contractors, consultants and volunteers, as necessary.
- Monitor the property and structures for unwarranted use, vandalism and trash.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must possess general horticulture and gardening knowledge.
- Must be passionate about horticulture and native plants.
- Flexible when dealing with changes in work plans.
- Must be comfortable engaging the general public.
- Highly motivated, responsible, reliable and dependable.
- Must carry out tasks in a professional manner and have an aptitude for injecting positive energy and good humor into the work day.
- Willingness to perform subordinate tasks such as clean-up.
Physical Requirements/ Working Conditions
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and a good driving record.
- Successfully pass a background check.
- Must be able to walk, stand, bend and squat on uneven terrain; must be able to lift and carry up to 40 pounds and push up to 50 pounds.
- Must be comfortable working from a ladder, lift and other high places.
- Must be prepared to work outdoors under all conditions, including heat, cold, and with occasional exposure to poison ivy, biting and stinging insects, etc.
- Must be available to occasionally work weekends, evenings and holidays.
How to Apply
Click here to apply using the Natural Lands online application system. Follow the application instructions to submit your resume and letter of interest. All correspondence should be addressed to Jeni W. Albany, Director of Human Resources
Natural Lands seeks to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not only because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our organization stronger. We aim to build a workplace where employees feel empowered to be their full, authentic selves. We welcome you to explore a career at Natural Lands.
Natural Lands is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.