Manager of Trail Maintenance and Training
Keystone Trails Association
Keystone Trails Association, Mission:
To provide, protect, preserve, and promote recreational hiking trails and hiking opportunities in Pennsylvania
Keystone Trails Association (KTA) seeks its first ever Manager of Trail Maintenance and Training to coordinate and oversee the organization’s trail maintenance activities across the state, working closely with a team of trail care leaders and other volunteers. The person in this position will also organize a variety of online and in-person training workshops for a variety of audiences and covering various trail-related topics and outdoor skills. This is initially a half-time position (20 hours per week). The position is hybrid, requiring one day per week in KTA’s Mechanicsburg office complemented by time in the field, attendance at various meetings and events, and time working from home.
- Oversee and coordinate KTA’s legendary Trail Care program in conjunction with volunteer Trail Care leaders
- Implement and emphasize risk management practices, including use of PPE, emergency plans, and other measures
- Liaison with the DCNR Conservation Volunteers program and facilitate volunteer data input
- Organize and implement an annual Trail Care calendar of trail maintenance opportunities, both multi-day and one or partial-day events – in cooperation with volunteer leaders
- Share Trail Care and volunteer success stories and opportunities via the KTA social media platforms, newsletters, and website
- Operationalize an online registration system for Trail Care volunteers and assure flow of critical information to registrants
- Cultivate new volunteers through outreach at applicable partner and KTA events
- Create a volunteer appreciation framework with appropriate rewards and incentives
- Assist in development of brochures and flyers for Trail Care events and volunteer recruitment
- Coordinate online and in-person training workshops for trail maintainers, hike leaders, trail clubs, trail users, and new trail users. Topics may include first aid, trail maintenance skills, outdoor skills, conservation issues, etc.
- Support major KTA events
- Frequent, seasonal travel to field events
- Manage trail work, and supervise volunteers, in rugged outdoor settings
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience in trail maintenance
- Experience in leading/supervising volunteers
- Experience in training and public speaking
- Enthusiasm for trails, the outdoors, and the mission of KTA
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of and commitment to DEIJ principles
- Familiarity with the major hiking trails of Pennsylvania
- Familiarity with the trail and conservation-related organizations and agencies operating in Pennsylvania
- Understanding of conservation issues, especially as they relate to the sustainability and enjoyment of trails
- Current or prior certifications in first aid and/or other outdoor leadership credentials (e.g., Leave No Trace, etc.)
This is a half-time (20 hours per week) non-exempt position. The starting wage is $20.49/hr. Benefits include a flexible schedule, generous leave policy, and 12 paid holidays per year. A work computer is provided, and work-related travel expenses are reimbursed. Currently, KTA does not offer healthcare or retirement benefits, but may do so in the future.
Keystone Trails Association is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of color; Indigenous people; LGBTQ+ people; veterans; people with disabilities; people who have formally been incarcerated; and others who are underrepresented within the conservation-related nonprofit sector to apply.
How to Apply
By January 15, please remit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in, and qualifications for, the position. Please email these materials to [email protected].