Parks and Recreation Coordinator
Erie County Planning & Community Development
Job Title: Parks and Recreation Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Planning and Community Development
Definition of Class:
- This is a professional position directed towards the advancement of local and regional Parks, Trails, and Recreation activities.
- This position is responsible for directing multi-municipal recreation activities.
- The coordinator will provide services to all entities entered into the Intergovernmental Agreement on a shared basis.
- This position will work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Supervised by the Director of Planning and Community Development
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Implement the Erie County Park, Trails, and Recreation Plan.
- Develop appropriate administrative procedures that are consistent with the objectives in the plan and any subsequent intergovernmental agreements.
- Provide technical assistance to participants identified in the intergovernmental agreements, to include but not limited to the administration, planning, marketing, improvement and development of recreational activities.
- Assist in the development, review and administration of Park and Recreation Programs.
- Make recommendations to municipal boards and non-profit and for-profit groups to encourage collaboration and sustainable growth of recreational facilities and activities.
- Promote safe and accessible transportation options for all users and adoption of Complete Streets policies by municipalities
- Manage the National Scenic Byway Great Lakes Seaway Trail Program.
- Assist the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) to integrate non-vehicular transportation options into plans and studies, including ADA accessibility.
- Assist in annual budgets and capital improvement planning.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work within a budget and within grant parameters.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and objectives of community planning and development.
- Ability to work independently, secure and analyze facts through research, interviewing and investigation; to prepare alternatives, think creatively, and exercise sound judgment in arriving at conclusions.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public.
- Ability to work with integrity and confidentiality.
- General knowledge of operation and maintenance of parks and recreation facilities.
- General knowledge of active transportation and Complete Streets approach to planning.
- Ability to present projects effectively in oral, written, and graphic form.
- Ability to prepare written material in a logical and orderly fashion.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, state, regional, and local officials, including the public.
- Ability to apply good organizational skills to prioritize work when encountering multiple demands and multiple projects and complete work on time.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Social Media Platforms, Google Suite, and other emerging technologies. A working knowledge of ESRI ARCGIS is a plus.
The above statements reflect general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements that are inherent in the job.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Parks and Recreation, Planning, Public Administration or related field; 3 years of experience in planning, parks and recreation, or local government or a combination of 2 years of experience with a Master’s Degree in a related field.
- Must have use of a personal vehicle
- Must have a Valid Driver’s License
- Must be able to Lift a Minimum of 25 lbs
Conditions Of Employment:
Must pass a criminal background check