Parks and Trails Maintenance Supervisor – North Region
The Parks and Trails Maintenance Supervisor – North Region is responsible for supervising, planning and implementing all maintenance, repair and improvement projects at all parks and trails and other assigned County buildings and facilities by utilizing appropriate maintenance staff or outside contractors. This position is responsible for supervision of full and part-time maintenance workers, and development and implementation of work schedules and assignments. The employee in this position is classified as an essential employee and may be required to work when the County offices are officially closed due to inclement weather, natural disaster, other emergency situations, etc., beyond normal hours, weekend/holiday work as required.
Requires completing documentation granting permission for the County of Chester to obtain a 3 year Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
A criminal background check is required.
- Directly supervise maintenance staff and maintenance work crews.
- Ensure public and employee safety in all areas of the parks and trails and other assigned County facilities, and that all buildings, grounds, playgrounds, trails, pavilions, and equipment are well maintained and kept in a safe condition.
- Assist with overseeing of all routine, preventative and emergency maintenance.
- Coordinate a wide variety of preventative maintenance, repair, renovation, construction and remodeling jobs.
- Develop in conjunction with supervisor, and implement procedures for best process/practice at County parks and trails and other assigned County facilities.
- Develop and implement maintenance management plans (e.g., mowing of fields and grounds; tree and shrub maintenance; utility and building maintenance and improvements; implementing improvement projects in a timely and coordinated effort, etc.).
- Schedule the daily, weekly, monthly and annual work schedules for the maintenance staff.
- Develop and implement an equipment management and replacement plan and ensure proper care and maintenance of all vehicles and motorized, powered and manual maintenance equipment.
- Supervise staff procurement practices for services, materials and equipment consistent with County procurement policies and procedures.
- Oversee and approve staff timekeeping and reporting.
- Ensure proper care and management of farm animals (north region).
- Participate in planning and supervise set-up, execution, and tear-down of programs and events within the parks and trails and at other county facilities and locations.
- Manage natural resources by identifying and removing invasive vegetation and providing proper stewardship.
- Ensure proper use and handling of herbicides, pesticides and other chemicals.
- Ensure staff maintain a positive image of the County and department through professional behavior and respectful public interaction.
- Monitor and track all work using a computerized maintenance management system.
- Inspect buildings, grounds and equipment to determine the need for repair or maintenance, and develop and implement plans to address items found.
- Work with external contractors and vendors as needed.
- Routinely communicate and coordinate with supervisor.
- Ensure adherence to safety standards.
- Maintain records and files of projects.
- Assist in developing the department’s operating and capital budgets related to parks and trails and assigned County facilities maintenance.
- Establish goals and evaluate staff performance.
- Produce, distribute and maintain reports and records.
- Perform other duties, tasks and special projects, as required.
Qualifications/Preferred Skills, Knowledge & Experience
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of eight years of job-related experience in a position with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Strong working knowledge of parks and trails maintenance and construction procedures and activities.
- Ability to operate machinery and equipment related to the upkeep of county facilities and properties.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong time management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to read and understand construction plans and specifications.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Manual dexterity.
- Knowledge of the County Code for contracting and bidding purposes.
- General understanding of building codes, safety regulations and statutes.
- A valid class “A” driver’s license is required.
- PA Applicator Pesticide License, Category 23 (within 1 year)
Preferred Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in parks management/environmental science or related field.
- Two years of supervisory experience.
- Technical training and experience in construction and grounds maintenance.
- Experience in natural resources management.
- Knowledge of agricultural practices and farm animal care.
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives.
- Knowledge of in-house work order procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to handle and resolve recurring problems.
- Ability to multi-task.
- General knowledge of county policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have:
- Basic Word skills
- Basic Excel skills
- Basic OutLook skills (Email and Calendar)
- Basic Internet Explorer skills for research purposes
- Familiarity with Computer Maintenance Management System
How to Apply