Plant Recorder (part-time)
Natural Lands is a non-profit organization that saves open space, cares for nature, and connects people to the outdoors in eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. We’ve been at it since the early 1950s and, today, nearly five million people live within five miles of land under our permanent protection.
Located in Villanova, PA, Stoneleigh: a natural garden is a 42-acre former private estate that opened as the Philadelphia area’s newest public garden in May of 2018. Stoneleigh’s fast-growing plant collection represents a diverse array of native taxa. The Plant Recorder’s primary role is to maintain and update all plant collection information, including the plant records database. They will also be required to perform, as needed, any and all additional tasks necessary for the continued development of Stoneleigh.
This is a part-time position and the person who fills this role will be expected to work approximately 15 hours per week.
• Must have an interest in horticulture, botany, or taxonomy.
• Experience in information management or database management preferred.
• Passion for ecological horticulture and native plants is a plus.
• Ability to work independently, and as part of a team.
• Highly motivated, responsible, reliable, and dependable.
• Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills.
• Must carry out tasks in a professional manner and have an aptitude for injecting positive energy and good humor into the workday.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
• Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and a good driving record.
• Successfully pass a background check.
• Must be able to walk, stand, bend and squat on uneven terrain; must be able to lift and carry up to 40 pounds and push up to 50 pounds.
• Work is primarily indoors, but candidate must be prepared to work outdoors under all conditions, including heat, cold, and with occasional exposure to poison ivy, biting and stinging insects, etc.
• Must be available to work weekends on a rotational basis as well as some evenings and holidays.
Natural Lands is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. We aim to build a workplace where employees feel empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
How to Apply
Visit our website at https://natlands.org/everything-else/careers/job-openings/ and complete the online application process. Please address all applications to Jeni Albany, Director of Human Resources and Risk Management.