The EAC Network Conference is the annual, statewide training and networking event for people engaged in or interested in establishing an Environmental Advisory Council in their municipality, as well as municipal officials, staff, and others interested in improving their communities. The 2023 EAC Network Conference was held virtually on Saturday, February 25 from 9am – 3:30pm.
The event kicked off with a plenary program from 9AM – 10:30AM, the EACs and Environmental Justice Panel. Panelists included:
- Justin Dula, Director of PA DEP’s Office of Environmental justice who gave an overview of environmental justice areas (why are they important and what tools are available to municipalities at the state and federal level)
- Jeff Smith of Citizens for a Healthy Jessup and Rashida Lovely, landowner and member of DEP’s Environmental Justice Advisory Board, who spoke about some of the gatekeeping practices that prohibit people of color from having access to/enjoying the land
- Rafiyqa Muhammad, Harrisburg EAC member and community organizer who shared insights on why can there be community distrust of environmental organizations, and how can you go about overcoming it
- Carol Grayshaw, Director of Education and Robert Campbell, Communications Specialist, both with WeConservePA, shared best practices for EAC relationship building (both with municipal officials and community members)
The morning plenary was followed by six additional sessions across three breakouts:
- Meadow Management
- Tredyffrin Taskforce on Stormwater
- Redefining Beautiful: Making the Case for Pollinator Friendly Ordinances
- Act 101 and Delco’s 10-Year Plan for Zero Waste
- Basin Naturalization
- Energy Transition Funding Panel
- For full session details and speaker information, review the agenda. Thanks to our presenters for making the day engaging and educational!
Registrants had access to 7.5 hours of training provided by a total of 17 speakers. All sessions were recorded and shared after the event. Contact [email protected] for recording links.
Registration and Attendance
Total registration for the event was 93 individuals. Thirty-one environmental advisory councils were represented, with an additional seven municipalities participating.
Thank You to Our Planning Committee Members
Carol L. Armstrong, Ph.D. | Chair, Charlestown Township EAC, Penn State University Extension, Master Watershed Stewards for Chester and Delaware CountiesJanet Krevenas | Newtown Square EAC and Secretary, Bird Town Pennsylvania Shannon Pendleton | Solebury Township EAC Lynn Rothman | Chair, Bethlehem City EAC Heidi Shiver | Doylestown Township EAC and President, Bird Town Pennsylvania Jenny Tompkins | PennFuture
Save the Date for the EAC Network Fall Gathering:
Saturday October 21, 2023, in the Sykes Student Union on the campus of West Chester University. Read More.