The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) has opened a round of recruitment for the NextGen Advisory Council.
The Council strives to cultivate a group of members with a broad range of cultures, experiences, and perspectives to inform the agency’s work and advance Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Council members will aid in creating lasting change and necessary conditions to ensure all Pennsylvanians can connect to public lands, natural resources, recreation, and conservation.
Benefits to Participants:
· Learn about careers in conservation: science, environment, nature, advocacy, etc.
· Tap into opportunities for outdoor activities and sports in parks, forests, and trails
· Meet and work with DCNR staff and leaders
· Gain leadership experience while enacting change to benefit the environment and outdoor experience for all
· Learn and strengthen professional skills including writing, presenting, policy development, networking, and more
· Help your community by working with DCNR to ensure equitable access
· Meet and collaborate with like-minded people who share the goal of inclusion in conservation and outdoor recreation
You do not need any experience in conservation or government to apply – only a willingness to share your ideas and work in a supportive community to promote conservation and recreation for all – including future generations. The Council is accepting new applications through July 31, 2023 with priority given to applicants ranging from high school students to age 35.
Participation Expectations for the NextGen Advisory Council Include:
· This Council membership is a three-year term commitment, with the option to serve additional, consecutive term
· Attend regularly scheduled Council meetings held quarterly in the evening on the third Tuesdays of January, April, July, and October. Meetings are virtual and include educational presentations by DCNR staff, as well as discussions of topics and projects prioritized by DCNR and/or the Council.
· Participate in optional committees, networking, and special project meetings. These are also held in the evenings on the third Tuesday of the month and scheduled in between quarterly meetings to further Council initiatives and encourage relationship building among DCNR staff and Council members.
To apply, follow this link: DCNR NextGen Advisory Council Application
DCNR NextGen Advisory Council Webpage: https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Equity/NextGenCouncil/Pages/default.aspx
If you want to learn more about the Council or have questions, please reach out to us at [email protected]
Applications are open through July 31, 2023!