The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) released the Growing Outdoor Recreation for Pennsylvania Conclusions Report and Roadmap for the Future, which creates an action plan to grow outdoor recreation’s positive impact on communities, creating jobs and economic opportunity, and providing pathways to enjoy the outdoors. The 32-page Growing Outdoor Recreation Report (PDF) includes feedback from stakeholders, outdoor recreationists, and the departments of Community and Economic Development, Health, and Transportation. The more than 50 actions listed in the report will assist with the larger strategic priorities of building capacity within Pennsylvania’s outdoor recreation industry, building community and economic development capacity, and building the capacity for inclusive and equitable wellbeing for Pennsylvania.
Strategic efforts recommended during a series of statewide stakeholder meetings include:
- Steering funding to the outdoors through policy, planning, and by communicating the economic benefit of the outdoors;
- Organizing the outdoor industry through an outdoor business alliance and identifying gaps to support businesses in the industry;
- Developing the outdoor workforce by elevating and stabilizing compensation, benefits, working conditions, and the professional status of outdoor workers;
- Communicating the value of the outdoors through collaboration with tourism and marketing partners; and,
- Supporting events, programs, and resources to expand diversity, emphasize inclusiveness, and address inequity in access to outdoor spaces and activities.
The outdoor industry contributes $17 billion to Commonwealth’s economy, and supports 164,000 full-time jobs.
This post adapted from a release from DCNR.